Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Chocolate Potato Cookies

It appears I have been sneaking potato into quite a few baked goods lately. I am trying to get through a ten pound bag of potatoes on my own, without eating potatoes at every meal. Potatoes are pretty versatile, and I like to try new, and potentially strange things with them. My chocolate potato fudge is always a hit, so why not chocolate potato cookies? The flavor and texture in these does not give away their secret ingredient, however, they were not quite chocolaty enough for me, as I did not add in chocolate chips. I would definitely recommend doing this next time!
Chocolate Potato Cookies
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup mashed potatoes (unseasoned, no butter), at room temperature
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips or miniature chocolate chips, optional

Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the chocolate chips and potato. Stir in the flour, soda, and salt, then the chocolate chips if using. Spoon teaspoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake ten minutes until just set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would not have guessed that there were potatoes in the cookies! They were moist and tasty, thanks again.
Regina