Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Oil-Based Pie Pastry

As I mentioned before, I am not much of a fan of traditional pie pastry. Often I will use shortbread crust, cream cheese pastry, a chocolate crust, or even a graham cracker crust. But when I am looking for something that is as close as possible to traditional pie pastry, I use this really easy oil-based pastry. It is quicker and less tedious than regular pie dough, and does not have to be rolled. It is not as flaky, but cuts well and the taste is similar. 
I used this crust for my mock apple pie from yesterday, as well as my Caramel Meringue Pie.

Oil-Based Pie Pastry
1 1/2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 Tablespoon granulated (white) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 Tablespoons milk

Mix the flour, sugar and salt together. Stir together the milk and oil and add to the flour mixture. Mix until all flour is moistened and dough starts to come together. This can be pressed directly into the pie pan or rolled out as a crust, but may require a touch more liquid if rolling. Makes one pie crust, plus a little extra for topping if you wish.

To blind bake: Place crust in pan, prick all over with fork. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, no weights are requires. 

No comments: