Thursday, February 21, 2013

Big Bang Birthday Cake

Here is the Big Bang Theory cake I made for my brother's birthday. It features some ideas from the popular television show. I decided to go with blue and yellow as the colors, though I do wish the yellow had come out a bit darker, as it is a bit difficult to see in this photo, but I do think the colors went together well on the cake.
I made my signature chocolate cake and baked it in a 9x13 inch rectangular baking pan. I let it cool and whipped up a batch of my signature buttercream icing. Once cool, I frosted the entire cake in white buttercream. Then I tinted the remainder of the buttercream yellow and blue. I started with a rope border around the bottom of the cake, alternating yellow and blue. Then I put a blue loop border with yellow dots around the top edge. There are many different border styles out there, and a different tip for each of them, but there are also a lot of different, creative borders you can do with just a plain tip, like this one. 
I piped "Happy Birthday Christopher" in blue in the center. I must say, that I think this is some of the best lettering I have ever done on a cake. If the cake is for a really special function, has long words, is a long message, or I want it to look fancy, I will use my letterpress, otherwise, I usually just pipe freehand. Whether I handwrite or print seems to depend on both the type of cake and my mood. This is some of the neatest and best-centered printing I have ever done! In the top left hand corner I wrote "the BiG BANG THEORY" maybe not as neatly, not exactly as the original logo appears, but something similar. In the top right hand corner, I wrote Sheldon's famous line, "Bazinga!" but not as that original logo either, as somewhat of an equation ( I certainly didn't come up with this myself, I found this online as well). Then I added three atoms, that are shown on the tv show to signal scene changes, and are a popular symbol of science.  
This is a fairly simple design, as most rectangular, flat cakes can be, but fun nonetheless, and my brother certainly appreciated it. 

No comments: