Sunday, December 23, 2012

Homemade Panettone Gifts

These are the panettones I made from the recipe yesterday. I have them all packaged up and ready to give. I made four smaller loaves, as then one batch goes further than if I had just made it into two loaves, and I can give it to more people. And of course, I keep one for me and my family to taste. Panettone tastes best if it is allowed to age for a little while before tasting, just like a fruit cake. That is why I wrap them so well and package them up as a gift that doesn't really need to be opened. I wrapped each loaf in plastic wrap, then foil, then placed it in a sealed plastic bag, then wrapped it in Christmas paper and tied a ribbon on it. Then I placed a tag on each specifying the day the bread was baked, how long it should ripen, how long it would be good after that, and how to enjoy. The message went something like this: "Should be allowed to age for a week or two before tasting for best flavor. Should be good for at least another week after that. Can be wrapped well and frozen for prolonged storage." I also found some adorable Christmas stickers that say "Baked by....For" or "Goodies by" or "Baked especially for....By" so I stuck one of those on each package too. Panettone is good with a little butter and/or honey, either toasted or not. We tend to eat it for breakfast, but it is good as a snack or a not too sweet dessert as well. 

No comments: