Sunday, February 05, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon rolls are one of those indulgent comfort foods. You just cannot (and should not) try to make them healthy, otherwise they aren't true cinnamon rolls anymore. Cinnamon rolls must contain large quantities of sugar and butter, they must be enriched with egg and milk, and of course, they must contain a nice dose of cinnamon. Many cinnamon rolls are also iced, although I don't tend to bother with that. Although cinnamon rolls must be indulgent, I think they are sweet and rich enough without a frosting. Plus, I like to enjoy them straight from the oven, so they don't tend to stick around long enough to be frosted anyway. However, if a cinnamon roll just isn't a cinnamon roll to you without the frosting, a cream cheese frosting or a plain vanilla glaze are both excellent choices. A drizzle of melted chocolate is also a welcome addition!

A certain family member has been asking me to make cinnamon rolls for a while now, but I've been pretty busy lately, so I didn't get the chance until today. I must say, I had quite the hankering for cinnamon rolls myself! I used my usual cinnamon roll recipe, one given to me by my grandmother. I am so glad she did, as I have never tasted a cinnamon roll as good as these. They are made from a simple biscuit dough - no yeast, and no waiting for dough to rise. The dough is soft, fluffy, and very easy to work with and roll up. The filling is the usual cinnamon roll filling: butter, sugar, and cinnamon. The only slight problem with this recipe is the baking time. It's a bit too long, because the smell of the cinnamon rolls cooking starts to drive you crazy before they are done!

No comments: