Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Minecraft Cake

Here is a cake I made to resemble a video game character. This is the creeper in the video game "Minecraft". This is just the head of the creeper, although it would have been very neat to make the full body from cake too, and have it stand up (this also would have been very difficult and would make quite a large cake). I don't know much about video games, but apparently the creeper character is known to explode. Well, my cake didn't explode, which is probably a good thing, because then it would not have been able to be eaten.

To make this cake, I made a rectangular chocolate cake. I started by dirty-icing the entire cake in vanilla buttercream. I marked out a pattern of squares, each 2cm x 2cm in the icing. I started with the face, piped with chocolate icing, and used a picture I printed off of the internet as my guide. Then I made three different shades of green buttercream, and generated a random pattern of how the colors would go in my head. I used a basketweave tip turned upside down, so that the lines (or basket weave) would not show. Essentially, this made just a flat tip. I piped straight lines to fill in all of the squares. This was a fairly simple cake to make. The piping was not difficult, as it consisted simply of lines and squares. It was a very fun cake to make though, and although it may seem a bit tedious, I didn't find that at all. I finished off with a simple shell border around the bottom edge.

No comments: