Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Black Forest Cake


I haven't baked in a while, so I am going to tell you about something I made awhile ago. This is a Black Forest Cake that I made last September for my father's birthday. I am quite proud of this cake, as you can see I am featuring it as my profile picture. This was before I got into cake decorating with buttercream, and piping borders, and flowers.

This cake simply starts with my favourite chocolate cake recipe that I always talk about. I poured the cake batter into three round cake pans: two eight inch and one nine inch. I used one slightly larger pan so I could have a bigger base, which showcased the cherry filling. The filling is simply real whipping cream, cherries, sugar, vanilla, etc. I iced the top with my favourite rich chocolate frosting, and finished the cake off with some whipped cream dollops and whole cherries. Simple, classic, old-school and quite a hit!

No comments: