Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ginger Crinkles

I know, I know, Christmas is still nearly four months away, but I decided to make gingersnaps anyway. Gingersnaps are great any time of the year! And no, I'm not trying to get a head start on my Christmas baking either - although I like to start baking early and freeze cookies, I don't start this early! These gingersnap cookies are very good, and very spicy. They have a secret ingredient. Aside from the usual spices of ginger, cinnamon, and cloves, these cookies also contain a small amount of ground black pepper. That's right, pepper. Not enough to make it taste like supper instead of dessert, but this small amount of pepper enhances the spicy ginger flavour of the cookies. The cookies are rolled into balls, lightly coated with granulated sugar, and baked at a low temperature for a long amount of time; giving them their crinkly appearance and texture. Time to get in the Christmas spirit!

No comments: